Here are the steps that you will follow in this How to add and change product type in Magento 2?:
- Six types of product in Magento 2.
- Add Product Type
- Change the Product Type
If you are the fan of Magento First Version, you must be familiar with 6 types that you can choose to add for your products. Magento 2 has the same 6 product types, however, it has some improvements in detail of each type. The way you change the type of product also has a little bit difference. Today we will clear all of that things.
1. Six types of product in Magento 2.
First of all, let go through what exactly each product types is and what feature each one provides.
- Simple Product
As it’s named, a simple product is a physical item with a single SKU. This type of products has a variety of pricing and of input controls which make it possible to sell variations of the product. Simple products can be used in association with grouped, bundle, and configurable products.
- Configurable Product
This type is almost the same as simple product types, it also appears to be a single product with lists of options for each variation. However, each option represents a separate, simple product with a distinct SKU, which makes it possible to track inventory for each variation.
- Grouped Product
Different with 2 types above, grouped product is made up of simple standalone products that are presented as a group. You can offer variations of a single product, or group them by season or theme to create a set of different products. Each product can be purchased separately or as part of the group. In the shopping cart, each item is listed separately.
- Virtual Product
Virtual products are not tangible products and are typically used for products such as services, memberships, warranties, and subscriptions. Virtual products can be sold individually, or included as part of the following product types: Grouped Product and Bundle Product.
- Bundle Product
A bundled product let customers “build their own” from an assortment of options. The bundle could be a gift basket, computer, or anything else that can be customized. Each item in a bundle can be based on one of the following product types: Simple Product and Virtual Product.
- Downloadable Product
A downloadable product can be anything that you can deliver as a file, anything you can put online. The files can reside on your server or be provided as URLs to any other server.You can offer an album for sale, and sell each song individually. You can also use a downloadable product to deliver an electronic version of your product catalog.
2. Add Product Type.
- In Magento 2, this it the first step in creating a product. Following the step below:
- Go to Product Catalog. You can see “Add product” Section at the right upper-right, click at the triangle beside it, you can see 6 types of product you can choose. It has a little difference from Magento, so take a note.
3. Change the Product Type.
This part is not easy, I must admit that. However, follow exact the step, you still change the Product Type as the way you want. A small note here, if you just want to change a small amount of product, you should del the old ones and add the new ones. It will be more convenient.
- Step 1: Login to your database using the PhpMyAdmin
- Step 2: Now search for the catalog_product_entity tables
- Step 3: Now just click on the SQL tab and runs the below query as per the screenshot below:
- UPDATE catalog_product_entity SET type_id=”simple” WHERE type_id = “downloadable”
- Then it will change all the downloadable products into the simple products. At this step, you can change your current product type into any other types. Just change the types “simple” and “downloadable” in the above code by any types you want.
- Step 4: Finally, login to your admin panel and see the result.
That is all about how you can add and change the product type in Magento 2. Not too much difficult, right? I will come back and tell your more detail about each type in the up-coming post.
Hope my post can be helpful. Thanks for reading.
Your Magento website needs a powerful Magento ERP for stock control.
DON'T MISS THE CHANCE!